Subway's Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki Sandwich is one of the chains biggest selling subs. The sandwich is made with very common ingredients like Teriyaki glazed chicken breast strips, onions, lettuce, tomatoes, and your choice of other veggies. What sets this sub apart from the others in the Sweet Onion Sauce which you can make at home using this restaurant copycat recipe.
Make the Chicken
- Marinate a boneless skinless chicken breast in Lawry's Teriyaki marinade for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Cook the chicken on a George Foreman grill or stove top grill pan.
- Allow to rest to seal in the flavors.
Make the Sweet Onion Sauce
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp mince white onion
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp poppy seeds
- pinch of cracked black pepper
- pinch of garlic powder
- Combine all the ingredients into a small microwave bowl.
- Heat in microwave for 1 -2 minutes until the mixture boils.
- Stir well, cover and let cool.
Build the Sandwich
- Slice chicken breast into strips.
- Place on a sub roll or fresh French or Italian bread from the bakery.
- Add lettuce, tomatoes, onions and any other vegetables that you like.
- Pour the Sweet Onion sauce over the chicken and vegetables.
Note: If you would like your sandwich toasted, clean the George Foreman Grill and place the sandwich inside and put a heavy skillet on top to press and toast the sandwich